Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Need Ideas!

I love our ward. It is small. Everyone is so friendly! We know this is the ward we were supposed to be in. We didn't really like the apartments we moved into, but something was telling us to do it. We found out that the ward had been fasting for new people to move in. So here we are! I was pulled into primary within the first few weeks, so I don't really know too many of the women. Some how Marc and I keep getting asked to do things. For example, a few weeks ago we were asked to speak to the Young Women about preparing for the Temple, I used to be in Young Women, but I was TERRIFIED! We did really well, and had parents come up and say how their daughters talked about it after. Well, Sunday the Relief Society President called and asked if I would speak at the Visiting Teaching Conference on Sunday. Again I am TERRIFIED, but this time for very different reasons! I have been to the temple, I remember preparing to go through, I could relate to the subject. This time I can't. The topic they want us to speak on is from Elder Aoyagi's General Conference talk "Helping Hands, Saving Hands". I have only been able to have Visiting Teachers for 5 or 6 years, but my experience has not been anything to model after. I will admit, I have had times where I don't go, I have had companions who won't go and leave me to go alone, but I have never had Visiting Teachers that come like they should. I have always been under the impression that if other sisters take time to visit you, you should do the same. I do my part, but the other half is rarely fulfilled. I don't know how to talk on how Visiting Teaching has helped me in my life other than serving others, I have to talk on both. So, If any of you have stories of how your life has been blessed by Visiting Teaching can you share?! I promise I will not claim your stories as mine, and I also will confirm with you if I can use your story if it is something I feel I should share with these sisters. I know that some of your experiences may be personal and you may not want to share, I totally understand, feel free to share your comments on here, or if you would rather e-mail me at mliving at hotmail dot com. Thanks so much!

1 comment:

wchase said...

We totally just had something like this in our ward! Mom and I had to speak for just a few minutes and give a story. The one I gave was about my mom and how she moved to Iowa to go to nursing school, she was a single mother to a month old baby and was really desperate. She didn't know anyone, didn't think she would have anything in common with anyone and was having a really difficult time making friends. She didn't know what to do with me while she was in school and how she was going afford for us to live. Her visiting teacher, Sue, stopped by randomly when we first moved into the ward and my mom was trying to blow her off but Sue kept visiting her and helped her as much as my mom would allow.They realized they were from the same small town in Texas and had the same tastes in just about everything! Soon they were best friends and we lived with Sue and her family (who just so happened to have a daughter my same age) all through nursing school! They are still best friends and Sue really helped reactivate my mom in the church. I was lucky enough to have Sue come to our wedding even though she lived 12 hours away from us and it was really touching to see how she became such a good supportive friend and example to me.

Another really neat story that was told was by Sister Hill and it happened to her sister. Her sister was in a ward and was asked to visit teach an inactive sister. She couldn't always go in person but no matter what she would send a little note to this sister with a message and told her how much she loved her. Sister Hill's sister was the inactive lady's visiting teacher for like 15 years or something like that and eventually the sister came back to church when she was in her 60's. The lady went through the temple and became very active. She later passed away and when her family was going through her things they came across a blue box that was filled with notes from Sister Hill's sister. She had kept every single note that she had sent her over the years! It was a great reminder of how a little note can mean so much to someone!

I hope those help! You'll do great!